ScotiaBank Prize for Excellence in Family Practice
- Two prizes of $500 each are offered by Scotiabank to students in the MD Program for academic and clinical excellence in the area of Family Practice. The awards are made on the recommendation of the Faculty of Medicine in consultation with the Department of Family Medicine.
Sidney Kaplan Prize in Family Medicine ($325)
- A $325 prize has been endowed by the family of Dr. Sidney Kaplan for students enrolled in the M.D. undergraduate program who achieve academic excellence in the Department of Family Medicine. The award is made on the recommendation of the Department of Family Medicine.
Dr. John S. Monteith Prize in Family Medicine ($690)
- A $690 prize, endowed by the Monteith family and The Seymour Medical Clinic in memory of Dr. John S. Monteith, is awarded to a first or second year medical student who distinguishes him/herself by superlative knowledge or practice of Family Medicine. The Award is made on the recommendation of the course director and Department Head of Family Practice in consultation with the Undergraduate Family Practice Program Committee.
Morton and Irene Dodek Prize in Family Practice (graduating student)
- A $300 prize has been endowed by the family of Dr. Morton and Mrs. Irene Dodek for an outstanding graduating student in the M.D. Program who shows promise for a successful career in family practice. The award is made on the recommendation of the Department of Family Practice in the Faculty of Medicine.
Medical Student Leadership Award
- Demonstrated interest and skills in areas such as health care policy/economics, government/media relations, advocacy and representation on behalf of patients, peers or healthcare organizations;commitment to or an interest in a career in family practice.
- Award recipients will be invited to attend Family Medicine Forum (FMF) and to participate in special events during FMF including a Medical Student & Family Medicine Resident Leadership Workshop and a special session with Canada’s Family Physicians of the Year.
- Each Medical Student Leadership Award consists of complimentary registration and $1,000 to offset travel and other expenses for attending FMF.